Monday, August 29, 2011

The Challenge - Assets, Part 4

Wow! When I started listing my assets, I never imagined it would go on this long; this is great!

Today, I'm going to introduce y'all to where we get some of our fresh foods. It's quite simple, really, and a huge help to the grocery budget. We're farmers. I alluded to that fact in the last post. We don't make our living farming yet, but we get quite a bit of food from it. Our farm is Belle Springs Farm in the hills of middle Tennessee. We just recently started trying to make a more viable business out of our farm, so things are still works in progress. For just our family though, we've supplied a nice portion of our own beef, chicken, pork, and dairy in the past 3-4 years. At the time of this post, we have the following:

  • 1 old dog, a blue heeler named Lily
  • 8 Jersey dairy cows
    • 3 cows - only 2 currently in milk. (Herd shares available! See farm link above for details!)
    • 2 hopefully bred heifers. We hoping to get a vet out here soon to check on that.
    • 2 young heifers
    • 1 bull
  • 32 beef cattle... or so. Mostly Angus.

I'm looking forward to the day when I can once again add chickens (layers and broilers), turkeys, and pigs to this list. As it is, I'm grateful for the endless supply of milk and the possibility of beef.

That's our farm. We're extremely blessed to live right next to Beaverdam Creek Farm! We have a CSA share from them. Let me tell you! Those Certified Naturally Grown veggies are delicious! Some of the veggies we have recently received in our CSA basket have been the following:

  • Green beans
  • Okra
  • Tomatoes
  • Potatoes
  • Peppers
  • Onions
  • Garlic
  • Leeks
  • Squash (yellow, patty-pan, acorn, and butternut!)
  • Watermelon
  • Cantaloupe
  • Basil

It's so wonderful to have fresh, organic, in season veggies available to us! I'm looking forward to figuring out creative ways to use them in my meal planning!

No comments:

Post a Comment