Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The Challenge - Assets, Part 5

I believe I'm going to make this the last post in the "assets" series. Wow! I am so blessed to be starting this adventure with all this!

First of all, I need to expand on part of yesterday's post. I mentioned that, because we're part of their CSA, we get a basket-full of fresh, organic produce from Beaverdam Creek Farm. What I didn't mention was that, being neighbors and friends, we occasionally go over and help them out. In return we get left-overs and "scratch and dent" produce. It really is a huge blessing! Just yesterday we brought home over 10 gallons of green beans! Hopefully we'll get around to canning them in the next couple of days.

Okay, so along with all the groceries I get to start with, I'm also beginning with a very easy family. Really the only food allergies we have to deal with are pecans and walnuts, and they're definitely easy enough to avoid or substitute.

On top of that, we're not really very picky! We've always had the "eat what's set before you" rule - often we didn't even have the option of not eating! This, I'm sure, helped expand our palates.

One of the biggest assets, I believe, is that we absolutely love "soul food," good Southern cooking! Thankfully this type of food is generally quite cheap. Southern cooking was, if I'm remembering some of my past research into it correctly, developed at least in part because they didn't always get the best cuts of meat, or have lots of seasonings. They used what they grew and what little they could afford. Generally, Southern cooking stretches over several meals pretty well, and the food is good, stick-to-your-ribs food.

Some other types of cuisine we enjoy are:

  • Mexican
  • Italian
  • Thai
  • French
  • German
  • Chinese
  • Middle Eastern
  • Classic American (Hamburgers, hot wings, and apple pie! Oh, yeah!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment