Tuesday, January 3, 2012

What's the menu today?

Breakfast: Eggs, yogurt, get whatcha want.

Lunch: Chewy pretzel bites. If you haven't tried them, do. They're amazing. Particularly if, like me, you "accidentally" use almost twice as much butter as it calls for! :)


Dinner: Beef stew and cornbread. Remember my attempt at cheater beef bourguignon? I posted about it HERE. Well, I tried it again today. Again it got rave reviews. I like rave reviews. The difference this time was that I used 2 chuck roasts, more carrots, and added some green bell peppers and a little bit of celery to the onions as they were browning. Oh, and I only used one can of mushrooms - I think that was all we had... And I don't think we had quite as much old wine for me to throw in this time. If I had to notice a significant change it the dish, I would say that it didn't turn out quite a rich as the last one, but I am almost of the opinion that that's because the old wine I had available this time was VERY old, and a much lighter-colored red wine. Of course, my knowledge of wines is limited at best, so this is really all conjecture. Whatever the differences may be, it was still good! Unlike the cornbread, which I choose to blame on the fact that we're out of buttermilk...

Now I'm going to go and see if I can get someone else on my line of thinking that we really need to have peppermint hot chocolate this evening. REALLY.

No comments:

Post a Comment