Friday, September 2, 2011

And so it began...

The first day of the challenge was yesterday, and I was busy, busy, busy doing things pretty much not related to it. Which is why I didn't blog about it last night.

In the morning we had left-over cake for breakfast. I'm not complaining!

Everybody was away from home for lunch:
  • Mama and I ate a rather good turkey, brie, and apple butter sandwich with smoothies at House Blend in Dickson. I highly recommend both the sandwich and the Chocolate-dipped Strawberry Smoothie to anyone thinking of stopping by House Blend.
  • Claire, Kyle, and Luke were in Centerville, so they went to Sonic. They had 2 or 3 Sonic coupons though which enabled them to eat for half the price they would have otherwise.
  • Daddy was at work, but he'd taken left-overs in for lunch. So, Daddy wins!

Since most of us were away from home for a good bit of the day, dinner was a challenge. My challenge-conquering, go-to food is chicken; thankfully we still had some. So, the dinner menu became the quick, easy, and fairly cheap Greek Avgolemono Chicken Soup. Love that soup! Not the most appetizing-looking soup, but it sure is good! It's even better if you've got a handful of wild rice to throw in with the regular rice.

That evening we ladies went to the most recent Weston A. Price Foundation event in our area (On the Centerville square at the store front of Beeyoutiful which is owned by some friends of ours). We watched the "Nourishing Our Children" presentation, and learned about the importance of a diverse, but very nutrient-dense diet. All in all, I came away not feeling nearly as bad about our family's diet as I thought I would. Good milk, butter, cheese, and yogurt make up a not insignificant portion of our diet, and we're hoping to reintroduce more whole grains in the form of homemade breads really soon. Processed foods don't make up a whole lot of our diet, and we're considering gradually eliminating/reducing some of what remains.

So, yesterday was busy, and I was too tired to write this up last night. I might do better today, though today is also looking like a busy day. I know, I know, what day isn't? Still, I've been busier this week than I have been in months!

No comments:

Post a Comment